At Southport Central Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Clinic we offer Electrotherapy as part of a larger treatment plan with the goal to stimulate the healing process.
Electrotherapy, electrical muscle stimulation or e-stim is the use of electric currents passed through the body to stimulate nerves and muscles. The process of healing from an injury requires a series of complicated steps within the body’s tissues, this process can be gruelling and time-consuming.
It is believed that electrotherapy can enhance the body’s ability to heal more efficiently, the treatment uses the effects of an electric and magnetic field to improve the healing processes in soft tissue injuries.
You should not feel any discomfort during the treatment if you do please inform the physiotherapist treating you.
At Southport Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Clinic we understand that no two individuals are the same. We treat on a case to case basis and will assess your symptoms and then decide what treatments are best for you and how many sessions we would recommend.
When used alone or with other treatments, electrotherapy can be used in physical therapy to treat many diverse conditions:
- Post-surgical pain & swelling
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD)
- Complications associated with Diabetes
- Tennis Elbow
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
In treatments using Electrotherapy some benefits seen include:
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Prevention and cessation of muscular atrophy due to disuse
- Improved local blood circulation and flow
- Re-education of muscles using targeted stimulation
- Preservation and improved range of motion
- Management and reduction of pain (chronic, post-traumatic, and post-surgical acute)
- Prevention of deep vein thrombosis post-surgery
- Facilitation of wound healing
- B.Phty 2009 UQ
- CSMT (Certificate in Spinal Manual Therapy) 2010
- Kinesiotape Level 1 2010
- Ridgway Method Paradigm 2011
- M. Phty (Musculoskeletal) 2013 UQ
- Mulligan Concept Upper Quadrant 2015
- Mulligan Concept Lower Quadrant
From the moment you book your consultation to the completion of your physiotherapy, you will experience the Southport Physiotherapy & Sport Injury Clinic difference.
- Peace of mind
- Clear communication
- Dedication and commitment
- Highest level of care
- Problem-solving approach
- Second opinions
- Non-invasive treatment